Friday, July 8, 2011

At Grandma's house


When I was a child I was raised by one grandmother and went to visit the other, who lived conveniently next to my school. I am used to piles of crepes with strawberry jam, milk and sugar, and huge slices of crusty bread with liutenitsa (Bulgarian tomato and pepper spread). My grandmothers made sure to feed me properly. A well fed and round child was a true success.

Last two weeks I have visited six women here in town, most of them somehow turn out to be distant relatives navigating my poor memory through family trees removed five generations. Off course how could I not remember the uncle of my grandfather who lived two streets up and had three sons one who is now in America. They talk of my parents as children and teenagers, giving me a fresh perspective of my own family and the extended big family I didn't know anything about.

Their little rooms are spotlessly clean, even if they don't expect anyone. The small beds are moved next to the walls covered with old thick clothes they recived in young age and still keep. Black and white pictures of loved ones long dead have a prominent place and are mentioned often. They love their flowers, vegetable gardens, cats, and little decorations bought ages ago.



Both of my grandmothers died. Now I can bask in the love of greandmothers who take the task of grand-mothering eagerly. Box of chocolates put aside in a cupboard or in the refrigerator is brought out. Little trays with small cups for water or juice are served with buiscits or homemade deserts. There is no way to cheat your way out. If you don't eat it, you get it packed for later.

Today I stayed for three hours in the home of the 90 year old grandma Manda. I recorded the interview and drank Turkish coffee her youngest son brought in. Then went out in her garden to see the growing beens, tomatoes and lettuce, and the new roses planted today. We visited the only chick in the coop of hens and one scared rooster. She finally wrapped in newspaper fresh brown eggs and honey made of evegreens to send home with me.




No comments:

Post a Comment